More Subversion vs. Mercurial metrics

I wrote a while back about the disk usage of Subversion versus Mercurial, but all of my examples were rather small. Today I managed to create a migration of a Subversion repository, as complete and intact as possible (with trunk, tags, and branches directories just like in Subversion). The repository contains 3526 revisions and 28977 files, stored in Subversion 1.4.6 and migrated to Mercurial 1.0, using a hacked hg convert to keep the TTB structure intact.

Keeping the entire revision history, the Subversion repository used 238 MB of disk, while the Mercurial repository (sans working copy) occupied 403 MB. Compare that with a “snapshot” repository (i.e. a repository with one revision) that consists of the latest version of all the files: Subversion 160 MB, Mercurial 229 MB. You can probably guess from these numbers that our repository has a lot of third-party code that we do not change frequently. Interestingly, in both cases, Subversion comes out ahead in terms of disk usage, by a significant margin.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Computing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s